MBBS in Nepal: Quick Overview 2021
Here is a brief details about the major aspects of MBBS course in Nepal:
||4 ½ Years (Internship of 1 Year)
| Eligibility Criteria
|| Passing of 10+2 or equivalent
60% (Gen) 40% (Res)
Age between 17 - 25 years
| Required Entrances
|| NEET, MET (Medical Entrance Test, Kathmandu)
|| Not Required
|Total Tuition Fees (Minimum)
|| 40,00,000 INR
| Total Tuition Fees (Maximum)
|| 60,00,000 INR
|Cost of Living in Nepal
|| 100$ - 200$ Per Month
| NMC Approved Universities
||20 Medical Colleges
|Medium of Teaching
| Seats for Indian Students
|| 1000 Seats
| University Recognition
||NMC, WHO, UNESCO
| Top Medical University
||B.P Koirala Institute of Health and Science
Benefits of MBBS Study in Nepal for Indian Students
We have described all the special attributes of studying MBBS degree in Nepal:
- Well reputed medical universities in Nepal.
- Top-class infrastructure for medical studies.
- MBBS training programs are available in English.
- Inexpensive tuition fees for medical courses.
- Universities in Nepal are approved from NMC & WHO.
- No donation fees and capitation charges.
- No complication of passing IELTS/TOEFL exams.
- Hostel and food services provided by the colleges.
- Practical Internship programs in standard hospitals.
- Living expenses are the cheapest among Asian countries.
MBBS in Nepal Fee Structure 2021
Here is the list of popular private medical colleges in Nepal with their average fee structure:
Disclaimer: Tuition fees of the medical universities mentioned in the table are subject to fluctuation. Contact Select Your University for more details regarding tuition fees, hostel cost, and conversion of USD to INR.
Eligibility Criteria for Getting MBBS Admission
Following criteria is considered for the intake of students in Nepal for MBBS course:
- Students should have completed 10+2 or any other equivalent courses.
- There should be a minimum score of 50% aggregate through science faculty.
- PCB (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) subjects should be listed in the course.
- Passing the NEET examination is compulsory for Indian students.
- Separate medical entrance test arranged by the Universities.
Optional criteria for students without 10+2 qualification
- Students should have a bachelor's degree from a recognized board/university.
- Inclusion of subjects like Physics, Chemistry, and Biology is mandatory.
- Candidates must have secured a minimum score of 50% for admission.
Admission Process for MBBS in Nepal
A common procedure involved in the admission journey in Nepal is as per below:
Step 1: Submission of online application form.
Step 2: Acceptance of invitation letter.
Step 3: Payment of first year’s tuition fees.
Step 4: Applying for a student's VISA.
Step 5: Booking flight tickets to Nepal.
Documents Required to Study in Nepal
Each and every documents essential for MBBS admission process in Nepal is here:
- Marksheet/transcript of Xth from recognized board.
- Marksheet/transcript of XIIth from recognized board.
- Passport’s page showing name and nationality.
- NEET/SAT score card of respective admission year.
- Certificate of health and fitness of the candidate.
- School Leaving Certificate (SLC).
- Recently captured colorful photos (5).
- Certificate of Conduct.
Complete Duration of Medical Course in Nepal
The total duration required to do MBBS in the Universities of Nepal is as follows:
- The time required for students to finish the MBBS in Nepal is for 4.5 years.
- A program is allocated for internships that extends the period of 1 more year.
- This duration is lesser than most of the counties and it saves valuable time.
Complete Syllabus of MBBS in Nepal
A detailed structure of medical syllabus in Nepal is given below:
Integrated Basic Medical Science
||Integrated Basic Medical Science Clinical exposure & Communication Skills.
Disciplines of Forensic Medicine
Community Medicine (Applied Epidemiology, Family Health Exercise),
Obstetrics and Paediatrics
Subjects including in the major area of studies:
||Community Health Laboratory
||Community Health Diagnosis
||Nutrition, Health Education
||Microbiology of functions and structures in Musculoskeletal system & Neurosensory
||history taking and general physical examination
||Renal and Electrolyte Systems
||Ethics and Research
||Accident and Emergency Medicine
Future Scope after Completing MBBS Degree from Nepal
Here is what the future of students look like after MBBS graduation in Nepal:
- Students can work anywhere in the world as a doctor after graduation in Nepal.
- Coaching for international license exams are available in Nepal, so that the students can pursue post graduation in any country.
- Internship programs are offered by the universities in top reputed govt hospitals.
- A new trend among the students is to go for an MBA after completing MBBS course.
Ranking of Medical Universities in Nepal
Check out these rankings of top medical colleges in Nepal to study MBBS:
|Name of University
|B.P Koirala Institute of Health and Science (BPKIHS)
|Kathmandu Medical College, Kathmandu
|Nepal Medical College, Kathmandu
|Manipal College of Medical Science, Pokhara
|Janaki Medical College, Janakpur
|Institute of Medicine (IOM) in Maharajgunj
|Nepalgunj Medical College, Nepalgunj
|College of Medical Science, Bharatpur
|Lumbini Medical College Palpa
|Patan Academy of Health and Science (PAHS)
|KIST Medical College Patan
|University College of Medical Science, Bhairahawa
|Bhirat Medical College Bhiratnagar
|Kathmandu University School of Medical Science
|Devdaha Medical College Lumbini
Scholarship offered for Indian Students Studying in Nepal
Following is the information about the scholarship opportunities available in Nepal:
Indian government has distributed scholarship programs for Indians students studying courses in the Universities of Nepal. Different types of scholarships are offered for the international students in Nepal based on various criterias and specialized benefits.
- COMPEX Scholarship Scheme
- SAARC Scholarship Scheme
- GOLDEN JUBILEE SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME
- General Scholarship Scheme (GSS)
- Dr. Homi J. Bhabha Scholarship Scheme
- AYUSH Scholarship Scheme
- MAHATMA GANDHI SCHOLARSHIP SCHEME
- Silver Jubilee Scholarship Scheme (SJSS)
- APS Scholarship Scheme
- Nepal Aid Fund Scholarship Scheme
System of Medical Education in Nepal
Here is the specification of medical education system in Nepal:
The system of medical education in Nepal is divided in three phases namely Pre-clinical, Clinical, Internship, etc. See the structure of curriculum in the table given below:
International Recognition of Universities in Nepal
The list of global medical councils who have recognized the MBBS degrees in Nepal:
- World Health Organisation (WHO)
- National Medical Commission (NMC)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- United States Medical License Examination (USMLE)
- Foundation of Advancement of International Medical Education and Research - IMED (FAIMER)
- General Medical Council (GMC-UK)
- World Directory of Medical Schools (WDMS)
- Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board test (PLAB)
- Ministry of Education, India
MBBS in Nepal: Academic Intake 2021
Check out the relevant dates of admission process in Nepal:
|Start Date of Application
|Last Date to Apply
Internship Programs offered by Universities of Nepal
Internship programs are provided in reputed govt hospitals for clinical practices:
- Internship program in Nepal is for 12 months which is the most crucial and critical part of the training at the undergraduate level of studies.
- The objective of the training is to provide necessary training of skills and to explain the practical functionality.
- Internship practices help in the development of the student's attitude, ethics, and behaviour of the working culture.
- It also develops analytical thinking and the establishment of communication with patience.
- Primary care is the most important aspect for the public in developing countries.
- Therefore, the students are trained on the multidisciplinary medical practices.
- They equip the skills to handle the on field situations and real operations in the process.
- The internships are organized in the same hospitals where the students have completed their MBBS graduation degree.
Requirements for Student’s VISA for Nepal
These things essential for getting student’s visa of Nepal for foreing students:
As per the regulations of the Ministry of Education, the department of immigration offers the VISA for international students and employees. The validity of studnet’s VISA is for one year and then it is subject to renewal.
Refer this list of documents required in VISA acquisition process:
- A letter of Recommendation from the Ministry of Education.
- Original payment receipt of the University/college in Nepal.
- Bank statement (One week old) with sufficient funds.
- Online application form with accurate data.
- Birth certification of the candidate.
- Report card of progress. (student's VISA renewal).
- Police Clearance Certificate (PCC).
Nepal: Safety Index
See where does the Nepal stands in the global list of safety index:
||Global Finance Safety Index Score
Living Cost for International Student in Nepal
Average monthly cost required for students while studying MBBS in Nepal:
|Food (Monthly Cost)
|Total Monthly Expenditure (Avg)
Calculation: 1$ = 70 INR
Read some more relevant information about Nepal:
Nepal is a landlocked country bordered with 6 states of India. The country is a multiethnic, multilingual, multi-religious located in the Himalayas with the history of 40 - 50 million years. Masterfully constructed Temples in Nepal are subject of fascination for its alluring architectural designs.
The natural beauty of mountains and delightment of villages are the typical attributes of culture in Nepal. Most of the Universities are situated in the metropolises of Kathmandu, Pokahra, and Patan which are highly advanced in terms of public infrastructure and facilities.
||Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Christianity, Jainism, Sikhism, Bon
|Rate of Exchange (Oct 2020)
||1 Nepalese Rupee = 0.63 INR
||11 °C (51.8 °F) (South) & 8 °C (46.4 °F) (Northeast.)
||GMT+5:45 55 mins behind India