MBA in India - Course Overview
|Eligibility Criteria||A graduate from any discipline like Science, Commerce, Arts, or also from disciplines like Engineering, BCA.|
|GMAT or GRE||Required with good score.|
|Duration||1 or 2 years|
|Examination Type||Semester pattern|
|Course Fees||Rs.4 Lakhs to Rs.20 Lakhs (for the complete course)|
|Admission Process||Depending on the marks or grade obtained at the bachelor’s level and GMAT or GRE score of the student, plus the work experience.|
|Course Type||Full time/Part time/Distance learning mode|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Amazon, Bain & Company, BCG, Accenture, AT Kearney, Cognizant, Deloitte, ICICI Bank, Infosys, Wipro, KPMG, TCS, and IBM etc.|
|Job Positions||Management Consultant, Marketing Manager, Program Manager, Operations Manager, Product Manager, Business Operations Analyst, Investment Banker, Digital Optimization lead, Financial Advisor, Business Analyst etc.|
|Starting Salary Offered||Rs.15-Rs.24 Lakhs per annum|
|Medium of Education||English Language|
|Top Management University||IIM Ahmedabad: Indian Institute of Management|
Top MBA Universities/Colleges in India (with Fee Structure)
|Name of the Institute||Fee for the Complete Course (approx.)|
|Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management||Rs.8.30 Lakhs|
|Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune||Rs.4.97 Lakhs|
|Balaji Institute of Modern Management||Rs.7.10 Lakhs|
|Institute of Management and Entrepreneurship Development (IMED)||Rs.4.19 Lakhs|
|Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI)||Rs.46,800|
|IPU - Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University||Rs.56,000|
|Xavier Institute of Management and Entrepreneurship||Rs.10 Lakhs|
|St. Joseph's Institute of Management||Rs.7.50 Lakhs|
|SDM Institute for Management Development||Rs.11 Lakhs|
|IFMR Graduate School of Business||Rs.12 Lakhs|
All Subjects of an MBA Program in India
Students need to study below mentioned MBA (Master of Business Administration) subjects when they opt for ‘MBA in India’:
|Managerial Accounting||Marketing Management||Financial Accounting||Macro Economics||Human Resource Management||Organizational Behaviour||Operations Management||Managerial Economics||Marketing Management||Business Environment||Business Legislation||Environment Management||International Business||Quantitative Techniques in Management||Entrepreneurship Development||Financial Management||Management Information Systems||Strategic Management|
Advantages of Studying MBA in India for Indian Students
Following are the advantages of ‘MBA in India’:
1 Better job opportunities
For a student, an MBA widens the spectrum of job opportunities and job profiles. Students who have done an MBA from the top B-schools can go to higher levels of management and can become managers and senior managers, which surely does mean a higher position in the organization but it will also bring higher responsibilities. To hold leadership roles in an organization, a person gets the credibility from the MBA degree of topmost B-schools.
2 Greater career growth
It might take many years for a mere graduate to go upwards in the corporate hierarchy and might not move beyond a certain level. Having a higher degree becomes important for a graduate to reach the senior management levels. An MBA graduate from a top B-school has better chances of escalating upwards to become a CEO, CFO, CIO, CTO etc. as he starts his career from the mid-management or senior management level.
3 Greater Challenges
Student’s limits of learning are widened by doing an MBA. It just constantly challenge the student with different situations by getting the student out of his comfort zone, deal with the latest issues, and by applying the newest management techniques.
4 Consolidated Corporate Network
Students get to interact with colleagues, professors, and teaching staff those who are usually former or current business people, with great on-field experience, and thus this puts the student in a good position in life and their consolidated corporate network becomes stronger.
5 Better Pay Packages
Greater pay packages are surely offered by an MBA degree from a good B-school. The salary after an MBA becomes at least triple for a simple graduate engineer. Even in the times of recession, the top tier B-schools have maintained the tradition of high salary packages being offered to its students over the years.
List of Top Ranked B-Schools/Colleges in India
Following is a list of top MBA colleges in India:
1 Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management -
The Indian Institute of Technology Bombay was established in 1958 for providing leadership in education and research with a focus on science and technology. An essential component of this strategy is Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management. In the area of management education, SJMSOM was established to provide leadership with an emphasis on developing all round managerial skills.
2 Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune
A Constituent of SYMBIOSIS INTERNATIONAL (DEEMED UNIVERSITY) is the Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune. SIBM Pune is recognized for its excellence in academics, high quality management programme and its valuable contributions to industry, society and students and it is a premier B-School of India. In 1978, SIBM Pune was established. The essential strong pillars of SIBM Pune are its full time faculty, exemplary students, illustrious alumni, and numerous visiting faculty members from the industry and corporate.
3 The School of Business Management (SBM), NMIMS
It is a management school of SVKM’s NMIMS Deemed to be University (as per UGC Norms) and it has long been a leader in management education. The School also offers executive education programs trainings for working professionals, who want to make the key transition in their lives, apart from offering various programs for students.
4 Balaji Institute of Modern Management
The Balaji Institute of Modern Management is the oldest institute of the other four management institutes of the society and it is the ‘crown jewel’ of Sri Balaji Society (SBS). It has made a name for itself not only in the city but also in the country by providing quality management education. This is a prestigious school of management education in Pune, and it has enabled its students to make a name for themselves as leaders, managers, and entrepreneurs in the corporate world.
5 Institute of Management and Entrepreneurship Development (IMED), Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, Pune
This is a well known Business School in Western part of India established by Bharati Vidyapeeth in 1978. Among top Indian Business Schools in India, IMED has been ranked consistently. IMED provides 'state-of-the-art' infrastructural & instructional facilities and it has been spread out on four acres of land. IMED is a constituent of Bharati Vidyapeeth (Deemed to be University), Pune.
6 Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI)
Jamia Millia Islamia is an institution originally established at Aligarh in United Provinces, India in 1920 and then it became a Central University by an act of the Indian Parliament in 1988. Jamia means ‘University’, and Millia means ‘National’ in Urdu language. The University Grants Commission declared the Jamia a ‘deemed to be University’ in 1962.
7 IPU - Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University
Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University (GGSIPU) is first University established in 1998 by Govt. of NCT of Delhi under the provisions of Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University Act, 1998. It is a teaching and affiliating University with the explicit objective of facilitating and promoting “studies, research and extension work in emerging areas of higher education with focus on professional education, for example management studies, medicine, pharmacy, law, education, engineering, technology, nursing, etc. and also to achieve excellence in these fields.
8 Xavier Institute of Management and Entrepreneurship (XIME)
XIME has three fully residential campuses, in Bangalore, Kochi and Chennai, all in India and it is a private business school.
9 St. Joseph's Institute of Management
St. Joseph's College was established in 1884. Today the institute has more than 8000 students enrolled at the Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses in Commerce, Computer, Science, Arts, and Management disciplines in its four independent Colleges namely, St. Joseph's College (Arts & Science), St. Joseph's Evening College, St. Joseph's College of Commerce, and St. Joseph's College of Business Administration (SJCBA) and it has grown steadily.
10 SDM Institute for Management Development
SDMIMD is a much admired non-profit educational trust that runs over 40 recognized educational institutions promoted by Shri Dharmasthala Manjunatheshwara Educational Trust in Karnataka, including Engineering, Dental, Medical, Naturopathy, and Ayurveda colleges. Under the able leadership of our Chairman, Dr.D.Veerendra Heggade, the trust has played an active role in empowering people and bettering the lives of communities in Southern Karnataka.
SDMIMD flagship offering is a two year, full time, residential Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM) program which is accredited by NBA and approved by AICTE. The program has also been recognized by Association of Indian Universities as equivalent to MBA.
11 IFMR Graduate School of BusinessThe Institute for Financial Management & Research (IFMR) has the objective of moulding ambitious young men and women into socially responsible and competent organisational leaders and it is a leading business school. IFMR currently offers part-time and full-time PGDM/MBA programmes, a Ph.D programme as well as both customised and open management development programmes. In the year 1970, the Institute for Financial Management and Research (IFMR) in Chennai was established with the help of industry.
MBA Course Duration in India
- Full-time MBA programs can have a duration of 1 to 2 years. There can also be programs which are of duration shorter than 1 year.
- In Part-time MBA programs, students study and work at the same time, and thus the duration of such programs can be extended up to 3 years.
- The course ‘evening MBA’ is exactly like regular MBA course with 2 years duration, only the difference is that the classes are conducted in the second half.
Eligibility Criteria to take MBA Admission
- Candidates should have done their graduation with good or qualifying marks is the first criteria.
- Candidates should have scored good in common entrance exams like the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Top B-schools also set work experience as their criteria for MBA admissions. Some institutes demand 2 years while some may demand 3 to 5 years of work experience.
- From college to college, the set of eligibility criteria differs which you need to check prior to the admission process.
The Scope of MBA Study in India
- The scope of MBA in India is increasing day by day. It is one of the big job oriented professional programme and most preferred programme by the students.
- Students can get great job opportunities in the industrial world, once they have completed their degree. They can get designations as an executive or manager.
- MBA is the management term which is most suited to managers and thus students can reach on top by using their working proficiency and leadership skills.
- MBA professionals can work in any sector including government and private and it can contain many industries, companies, institutions or related organizations etc.
Job Positions for MBA Students
Students get the following job positions at reputed companies, after pursuing MBA in India:
- Management Consultant
- Marketing Manager
- Marketing Executive
- Brand Manager
- Account Manager
- Program Manager
- Operations Manager
- Product Manager
- International Business Manager
- Business Operations Analyst
- Investment Banker
- Digital Optimization lead
- Financial Advisor
- Business Analyst
- Business Intern
- Project Leader
- Area Sales Manager
- Field Marketing Manager
- Product Manager
- Data Quality Analyst
- Digital Optimization Lead
- Senior Advisor
- Chief Financial Officer
- Vice President
MBA - Career Prospects
- Students who enroll for MBA course are trained in the practicality of a business environment and after completion step out as skilled professionals, thus MBA programs are beneficial for the career of students.
- Post the completion of the MBA course, there are a lot of job opportunities for MBA graduates.
The most popular career options for MBA graduates are –
- Product Management
- Technology Management
- Human Resources
- After the completion of the MBA course successfully, students can enter any of the above fields.
- Companies are more than glad to hire employees with all the expertise and a lot of knowledge about the field.
- Students also get good pay packages because companies require student’s knowledge to grow their business.
MBA Scholarships Programmes
There are many top management colleges which offer scholarships to MBA Aspirants on the basis of different criteria.
Scholarships are provided on the basis of below mentioned different criteria:
- The academic percentage in 10th, 12th & Graduation.
- Performance in written entrance tests conducted by the MBA colleges.
- Performance in GD/PI conducted during selection process by the college.
- Work Experience in a reputed organization.
- Scholarship for SC/ST/Physically Challenged Candidates.
- Merit based Scholarship/ State Rank Holders.
- top performers or performance during academic sessions of the MBA College.
- Sports Scholarship for those who have represented the state at National Level Competition.
Some of the MBA scholarships in India are as given below
1 Aditya Birla Scholarship Program, 2017
It is a Partial Funding international scholarship offered by the Aditya Birla Group for international students. Students eligible for this scholarship are: applicants of India from selected institutions.
Note Only at Selected Universities in India, this scholarship can be taken.
2 Nirankari Rajmata Scholarship Scheme
It is a scholarship offered by the Sant Nirankari Charitable Foundation (SNCF) for international students. It is open to all Indian citizens.
3 Sahu Jain Trust Loan Scholarship
It is a Partial Funding international scholarship offered by the Sahu Jain trust for international students. It is open to all Indian nationals.
4 Global Business Scholarship
It is a scholarship offered by the S P Jain School of Global Management for international students. It is open to all Nationals.
5 Forte Fellows Program 2018-19
This scholarship is offered by the Forte Foundation for international students and it is a Partial Funding international scholarship. It is open to all nationalities.
6 4th Merit-Cum-Means Scholarships
This is a scholarship offered by the ‘The Swami Dayanand Charitable Education Foundation’ for international students. It is a Partial Funding international scholarship open to all Indian nationals.
7 AMBA 50th Anniversary Scholarships, 2017
This is a Partial Funding international scholarship offered by the Association of MBAs (AMBA) for international students. It is open to all Indian nationals.
8 ISB - AIESEC Scholarship, 2018
This is a Full Funding international scholarship offered by the Indian School of Business (ISB) for international students. This is open to applicants of non-Indian origin.
9 ISB Merit Waivers, 2018
It is an international scholarship offered by the Indian School of Business (ISB) for international students. This is open to applicants of non-Indian origin. This MBA scholarship can be taken for pursuing in Management.
Salary of MBA Graduates in India
- Salary of an MBA professional in India starts from Rs.15 Lakhs/Year.
- It can range between Rs.15-Rs.25 Lakhs/Year, but it depends on the knowledge and increasing number of years of experience.
- Compared to other graduates, salaries of MBA professionals in India are much higher. The average starting salaries at some of the renowned institutes are given below:-
|Name of the Institute||Average Starting Salary offered|
|Institute of Management and Entrepreneurship Development (IMED)||Rs.11 Lakhs/Year|
|XLRI Jamshedpur||Rs.20.1 Lakhs/Year|
|IPU - Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University||Rs.6.70 Lakhs/Year|
|St. Joseph's Institute of Management||Rs.12 Lakhs/Year|
|SDM Institute for Management Development||Rs.6.94 Lakhs/Year|
|IFMR Graduate School of Business||Rs.14 Lakhs/Year|
|FMS Delhi||Rs.21.1 Lakhs/Year|
|Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management||Rs.29.9 Lakhs/Year|
|Symbiosis Institute of Business Management, Pune||Rs.16.23 Lakhs/Year|
- India is the most populated democracy on the planet and the seventh-biggest country regarding zone. It is surrounded by the Indian Ocean, Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea.
- The current population of India is the second highest in the world and it is at 132.42 crores (as of 2016). Also, India’s population is what contributes to the diverse cultural scenario and socio-economic structure.
- From the River Indus, the name 'India' is derived, the valleys around which were the home of the early settlers. River Indus was referred as the Sindhu by the Aryan worshippers.
- Delhi is the capital of India.
- India is bounded to the east by Myanmar (Burma), and it is bounded to the northwest by Pakistan, to the north by China, Nepal, and Bhutan.
- Both, standard Hindi written in Devnagari script as well as English are given the status of official language of Government of India by the Constitution of India.
- In India, according to the 2011 census, 79.8% of the population of India practices Hinduism and 14.2% practices Islam, while the remaining 6% adheres to other religions like Sikhism, Christianity, Jainism, Buddhism, and various indigenous ethnically-bound faiths. In India, Christianity is the 3rd largest religion.
- ‘Rupee’ is the currency of India.